Sunday, April 19, 2015

The Beatles

Lately in my US History class we have been studying about music from the 70's and 80's, but more specifically the hippie movement. So, I made the executive decision to talk about the ever so well known Beatles and express my opinion. Let's not get off on the wrong foot here though, please remember as you go on that I in no way shape or form am a well known fan of the Beatles, I mean I think I've heard maybe a few of their songs. So, I am just going off of what Coach Whites power point specifically has taught me. Okay, now that we have that cleared up, lets proceed.

So, the Beatles became a hit and started growing a fan base from before the hippie movement. Winning over the hearts of millions everywhere, they were known as the "One Direction" of the 70's and 80's era, but even bigger. Then, we got into talking about how the Vietnam War started to cause issues within the states (the whole idea that our country wasn't fighting for us but rather for other countries). People started to rally and "leave society" and music (and people started to change).

Now, it makes sense to me that the Beatles would have a change in music along with the ear, famous people do that all the time, whether to gain more fans along the way or just because they want to (like Taylor Swift or the ever so "interesting" Miley Cyrus). However, what caught me off guard was not that part of the story, it was the other major factors that changed within their group as well. 

Now, considering that it kind of became a main stream thing to do I am in no way bashing on the Beatles, however I am questioning some of their choices. As the era progressed drug became of heavy use, and people starting adapting to them like they would food, and so did the group. Even taking to writing songs while they were on a "high" making it more of an enjoyable listen and take to the fans that did the same. 

A better counter approach in my opinion would have been to use their influence of mass numbers and trying to actively protest the war together, rather than promoting the idea that sitting around getting high was going to change anything. However, I guess since I didn't exactly live in that era, I wouldn't fully understand the logic. But my idea sounds logical to, doesn't it?

Overall however, learning about the Beatles was awesome, and hearing about how they came to change the hearts of millions truly is inspiring. No wonder they will live on as legends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment